New GWT+GAE book
Posted by David Chandler on January 31, 2011
Daniel Guermeur and Amy Unruh have written a fantastic new book on Web app development with GWT and GAE.
Google App Engine Java and GWT Application Development is an amazingly thorough and up-to-date guide. Loaded with example code, this tutorial walks you through all the moving parts of a real-world GWT+GAE app, including
- Building a data model and service layer with App Engine Datastore and JDO
- Calling GWT-RPC services with a wrapper for retries and error handling
- GWT MVP (both roll-your-own and GWT 2.1 Activities and Places)
- GWT mobile browser detection and MVP
- Login integration with Facebook and Twitter via OAuth
In addition, the book features a number of advanced topics I’ve never seen in print:
- Using Datastore transactions and entity groups / keys with JDO
- Background processing with App Engine task queues and XMPP
- Datastore caching with memcache and JDO lifecycle listeners
- Browser push with the App Engine Channel API and GWT wrapper
- Use of Datastore list properties to simulate joins
What more can I say? I’ve been doing GWT+GAE for a couple years now and I learned a ton of new things from this book. Congrats, Daniel and Amy, on creating a truly outstanding resource!